Natural Awakenings News and Announcement Submissions
What is a NewsBrief?
More than just a calendar listing, Natural Awakenings publishes short news/press releases, called "NewsBriefs" each month as a service to the businesses and professionals in our community, as well as the readers who benefit from keeping current with developments and events that will help them lead a healthier, more earth-friendly lifestyle.
Get the word out. Let everyone know.
• Opening a new office? • Moving?
• Recently become certified in a new therapy?
• Special event, expo or festival coming up?
• Receive a special award?
• Offering a new service or product line?
A Natural Awakenings NewsBrief may the vehicle you need to make the announcement. NewsBriefs work very well when placed with advertising in the magazine because the format allows businesses to reach the reader from another angle, in a non-promotional, announce-styled presentation. Natural Awakenings NewsBriefs are very effective!
Who can publish a NewsBrief?
Any local business, organization, group, non-profit, individual or other organization may submit a News Item for consideration. We do not charge for NewsBrief publication, publication is based on available space** and we do prioritize selection (again, subject to space and previous publication of NewsBriefs) in the following order:
• Advertisers in the local Natural Awakenings Magazine always get first preference.
• Local businesses who carry Natural Awakenings in their business
• Local businesses who are not advertisers and/or distribution locations
• All others
Note: Our experience has shown that NewsBriefs are more effective with a related photo (or logo, if branded). NewsBrief submissions sent with a related photo are given preference over those without.
How to create your News Item
• Please write your News Item in third person.
• Don't sell, just announce.
• Length: 150-180 words (send more rather than less so our editors have more to work with)
• Due the 12th of the month prior to publication (may vary monthly)
• Don't sell...announce! (did we say that already?)
• Include a photo or logo (photos are best)
• Use our online submission form. If you have a press release already written, use the online submission form to make sure any missing information on the press release is included, then upload the press release with your image file, or send it to us as an attachment to an email (email address in the masthead of our magazine, and table of contents).
• DO NOT SEND FLYERS OR BROCHURES AS YOUR SUBMISSION (unless instructed by our editors). This could result in a fee for transcription. You may, however, upload or email us a your flyer for image-extraction purposes, in order to have an image for the NewsBrief.
The submission confirmation page has a utility to upload images or you may email it directly to us. Please reference your submission.
*Note that NewsBriefs do more to "announce" than "sell" and will not necessarily take the place of a well-designed display advertisement to promote specific products and services. NewsBriefs work very well when supplementing advertising placed in the same issue...and we display the page number of your ad in the NewsBrief! Another way to promote your business is with our paid Community Spotlights section. Call for rates and more information on this special approach.
Note: you will be prompted to upload a graphic file on the submission page.
Notes: Natural Awakenings edits all submissions to our style, format, theme and length without prior editorial approval and without sending proofs for review. We publish only those submissions that we feel are a good fit in our magazine and only those for which we have adequate space in the magazine. We do not notify in advance of publication or send proofs. If we have questions about your submission, we will contact you.
Publication of Natural Awakenings News Items is solely at the discretion of Natural Awakenings' publishers and editors and is subject to available space, guidelines and applicability to the theme of the magazine. We edit all submissions to fit our style, length and guidelines, without prior approval or review.